Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Week in the Life Day #5


You might be wondering what happened to Day #4. I am just accepting that I don't have much of a life that anyone wants to talk about on the days I work. Don't get me wrong - some days it is almost a spiritual experience and I am reminded of what faith really is and I see God's hand in everything. Other days, we are just running. I might need to call this project #5daysoflifein7. Fortunately, Ali (who is the author of this project), is very laid back. I had the pleasure of meeting her a couple of years ago and she reminded us constantly to just go with the flow. Hobbies, like scrapbooking and photography should be fun...not stressful. So, I am a little behind and my week may not be complete and that is okay.

Friday started out a little strange.
Yep, that squirrel is on the wrong side of the screen. Somehow, he made it into our screened in porch. I think he discovered the big rubbermaid container of bird seed. When I went out on to the porch, he completely freaked out - and I should have changed my settings on my camera to shutter speed priority. Okay - lesson learned. He was doing triple axles in the air when he saw me.

I thought I was going to have these beautiful photos from the balloon festival but I didn't make it there. The weather wasn't great and Melissa's move had taken a bad turn. So, the balloon festival will have to be next year. No biggie - I have found so many opportunities to take photos - much to my family's chagrin.

Melissa moved from Yardley to Newtown - only a couple of miles away. The movers, Lenora's Moving Company from Philadelphia, was supposed to be at her house at 1 PM on Thursday to load the truck. She was packed and ready to go and started waiting until they finally showed up around 7 PM. (This can't be a legal document - I am only reporting what I was told about Thursday so my time may be a little off - it may have been later!) When they arrived in her new Newtown neighborhood a little after 10 PM, some of her new neighbors were less than pleased. Melissa decided to have her belongs (just about everything she owns in the world) delivered the next day. And that is when the waiting really started.

We had a little picnic in the master bedroom - Stephen, Melissa, Jenny, and me - watching the only TV in the house.
Fortunately, Stephen can be stay entertained by the computer or my ipad for hours and hours.

Jen hates my camera and she is excellent at hiding. I have many pictures of her looking very much like this:

I don't know why she hides - she is so pretty!

Melissa just gives in to me...

Now, was that so hard? She looks beautiful.

We are all trying to make the best of a difficult day. Many phones calls were made to the movers (Lenora's Moving Company in Philadelphia) and we listened to excuse after excuse. We even heard, "the shipment is on the truck." and we knew we were in big trouble. The stairs were really our only place to sit other than the floor. We finally gave in and ordered dinner.

Chloe was trying to adjust to the hardwood floors.

The waiting got harder and harder.



Finally, after two phone calls to the police, the movers finally appeared a little after 10 PM. They pulled the old "bait and switch" and wanted twice the money she agreed to pay. This company will be meeting my daughter in her attorney role - I can't wait for her to sweep the floor with them. We blocked their truck in the driveway with our cars so they couldn't leave and after the police threatened to lock them up for theft, they finally unloaded the truck. I am sure Michael moved more stuff than all of the movers put together. Jen moved a lot of stuff, too. There is a lot of damage and the ordeal isn't really over. But, Melissa and Stephen are moved in and life will begin in their new house.

Jeff was disappointed that he missed supporting all of us. He was still working hard in Tennessee with the ASP group. Here they are - they are all so wonderful and generous and hardworking. I remain so proud of all of them.

I am looking forward to sharing Saturday with you. Michael and I had a great day! I will post again, soon!

2 comments:

Lisa Sassaman said...

I love it when written things make me laugh out loud......Your description of the squirrel on the porch STILL has me giggling....

So sorry to hear about the moving ordeal. Amazing that "businesses" think they can get away with this kind of stuff. I want to hear how it all plays out....

Unknown said...

Go you for blocking in the moving truck and calling the police. Glad you all didn't let the movers get away with that nonsense!